Monday, January 1, 2007

My First Time!

I remember going to my first Flyers Game back in the Fall of 1983, actually it was November 20, 1983. I was 12 years old and my father took me. I never really watched hockey on television, I didn't understand the game that well. I knew who Bobby Clarke was. I knew Bill Barber, I knew Bernie Parent and the Broad Street Bullies, that was all I knew about the Flyers.

I remember walking down to our seats around the Blue Line at the Old Spectrum. The Ice was a bright white. There was a cool chill in the air. The atmosphere was intoxicating, Within seconds of the puck dropping, I was hooked. The first goal of the game was scored by the Penguins, but the fans still cheered. My dad explained to me the goal scorer was Ron Flockhart, a former Flyer, who was loved the short amount of time he wore the Orange and Black.

I don't remember much about the game, only it was back and forth. The Flyers skated with the such ease, I sat their and watched in amazement. It was great to see the Red Light Blink every time a goal was scored. The Crowd would erupt and you couldn't help but become hooked.

After regulation, the scored was tied at 4 and the game went into over time. This was the Flyers first regular season overtime game. My fondest memory of this game happened in OT, Bobby Clarke lit the lamp giving The Flyers their first OT Win. I remember Clarke scoring on a wrap around and the whole team jump off the bench to celebrate this feat.

I have many memories of Flyers games, but this one was definitely my best one.

No comments: