Monday, January 8, 2007

Customer Serviced

One of the most annoying things is dealing with a customer service representative and you know they have no idea what they are talking about. I feel bad for these people, I use to work in Customer Service and I know where they are coming from. It's a very sad state of affairs when the person who deals the closest with the life blood of a company is the lowest paid and the least knowledgeable.

I had a question with my cell phone and something didn't make sense. I called the Customer Service line and they tried to explain it to me. The wind up was they sold me a bill of goods, but didn't explain properly what I was getting. They didn't tell me all of the facts and now it cost me a lot more than it should have. I hate to say the person on the other end of the phone was incompetant, but if it smells like a skunk and it looks like a skunk, it probably is a skunk.

Next to incompetance, I really dislike over compensation. You know when you buy something and you get 5 follow up calls asking the same thing. And each of the Service Reps are reading from a script that doesn't pertain to what I just purchased. If my answer doesn't correspond to their A,B,C or D, they become the telephone equivilant to a deer in headlights.

When you call some of these companies up, the menues you have to go through on the phone kills me. A recording asks you to please state the nature of your call? 9 out of 10 times, the computer on the other end can't decipher what I just said and I have to push "0" for an operator. Mean while, I wasted 5 minutes screaming into the phone telling the computer I have a questions regarding my service.

It's definitely not easy to be a Customer Service Representative. There are a lot of things you must learn and the let's face it, the pay sucks. What is anyone's motivation to do this job only to get yelled out by an irrate customer. There's no wonder all of the Customer Service jobs are moving abroad to India/Pakistan. At least these representatives try, now if only we can understand them better.

No comments: