Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Here's an idea

This past weekend, I watched one of the greatest sporting events ever, Roger Federer / Rafael Nadal Wimbledon Final. Nadal won this 5 set classic in a true test of fortitude and gumption. One of the things I have really liked about Tennis is their System of Challenges/Instant Replay. If you are not familiar with it, each player gets three challenges per set and the pin-point accuracy determines if a play was in or out.

This got me thinking on how to improve baseball. Over the July 4th weekend, I watched parts of 4 baseball games and Each game the umpires made an inaccurate call, one of the calls actually changed the total complexion of the game.

So here's my idea, lose the umpires. If the television cameras can make a call on one or two angles and it is the correct call, why put pig-headed, egomaniac, bigger than the game umpires out there.

First off, I was taught the strike zone when I was playing little league when I was 7, however day in and day out, the strike zone changes. With the cameras showing the game, I can call balls and strikes in the comfort of my own living room.

Second, a catch is a catch, a trap is a trap, if the human eye can't make the right call first, the cameras show it in 5 seconds.

Third, players and coaches argue calls with the umps, they take a lot of time out of the game, but the umps provoke the arguing by not calling the even and fair. The amount of time it takes coaches and players to argue a call, the replays have shown the accurate call.

Why do you think baseball games aren't shown on the big screens at the stadiums?

If Major League Baseball wants to win fans back, it's simple, be the first league that gets rid of those umpires and their inflated egos and let technology take over

No comments: