Monday, October 8, 2007

It's Been A Long Time...

For over three months, I have had a lot to say, but I just couldn't put it in words. I still don't know if I can put it all in words and I don't know if I am going to try. My goal is to get my websites running within the next month, but inspiration hasn't shed its light on me.

Instead of talking about the ways of the world, the good and bad, the ups and downs, I thought I would just talk about something a little easier, The 2007 Philadelphia Phillies.

Wow, what can I say. Back in Spring Training, MVP Short stop Jimmy Rollins called them the team beat in the NL East and they proceeded to start off 4-11. The slowly crawled their way to 500 and started to win somewhat consistently. Their pitching was unspectacular outside of Cole Hammels. Their Bullpen was a whos who of castaways and journeymen, but somehow they got through the season.

2007 will go down in history as how the Mets plummeted. Dropping 8 games in the standings with 18 to play, but the Phillies did sweep them twice coming down the stretch. I guess I am saying the Phillies deserve more credit than they will ever get.

Here's a grade for the 2007 NL East Champs:

GM - Pat Gillick - B. Would have been an A if it weren't for Freddie Garcia, who will go down in Phillies History as the WORSE signing in team history. Gillick deserves credit for signing Jayson Werth and Greg Dobbs. He got lucky with a desperation signing in JC Romero, who played his way into a nice contract for next year. The Kyle Lohse was also a nice pick up at the end of the season, he ate up innings and the Phillies won most of the games his pitched.

Manager - Charlie Manuel - B+. He got the most out of his bullpen, more than I ever thought he would have. He made a lot of questionable decisions, but most of them worked out, so who am I to judge. I really wish we would have seen a throw down with Eskin.

Offense - A. They are the most prolific hitting team in baseball. Hopefully, Ryan Howard will come into next season with confidence and a little more patience. He could become the best Phillie EVER. Rollins, Utley and Rowand had great seasons at the plate. Everyone else seemed to get into the action.

Defense - A-. They were pretty solid in the field, just wish we could combine Nunez and Dobbs to make one complete 3rd Basemen.

Starting Pitching - B-. Hammels was great. Moyer was a magician. Kendrick was a pleasent surprise, but far from great. Eaton, Lieber and Garcia Disappointments.

Bull Pen - C. Madson was hurt, which hurt them. Romero pitched nicely, but not spectacular. Gordon showed flashes of brilliance. Mesa, Alfonseca, Condrey, etc are okay as long as they are not on the same team. Finally, Brett Myers is a better Starter. Yes, he has a Closer's Disposition, but he can give you innings as a starter and be a dominant one too. Its so hard to find Quality Starting Pitching, and to use one of their best starters as a closer makes no sense to me.

Next Season, I expect great things from the Phillies. There will not be a lot available via Free Agency. They will probably lose Aaron Rowand which is too bad. They need to move Myers back into the rotation, find another starter (Lohse will probably sign for big money with a team like New York.) They need a lot of Bullpen help and hopefully through the minor leagues, a few players will step up. They can get by with a three headed monster at third, but it wouldn't surprise me if they sign a "big name" (Mike Lowell?) Burrell will play out his last season in Philly In Left, Victorino will play Center and Werth will play Right. All in all, the Phillies are much better off than other teams in their division.

I hope they learned from this experience and build on it

No comments: