Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Time to Report

With most of the Northeast being pounded by wintery weather, its refreshing to know that pitchers and catchers are reporting to Spring Training in Florida and Arizona as I am writing this. There really is nothing better than Spring Training, even if you are not a baseball fan, there is something about Spring Training that makes you feel good.

I use to be a huge baseball fan, but recently found myself as more of a marginal fan, I still get excited about Spring Training. For the past 2 years, I have trekked over to Florida's west coast and watched the most enjoyable baseball I've seen in more than 10 years. Maybe its the relaxed atmosphere, maybe its the small ball parks or maybe its the "spring" fans, either way, I really enjoy Spring Training.

For 30 Major League Teams, its a time to be optimistic, your team has a chance to ride the pumpkin into the postseason. The truth of the matter, but the third week in April, the clock has struck midnight for most of these teams.

I long for the smell of Spring, the pop as the ball hits the glove, the crack of the sunflower seed and those 2 magic words the ump shouts, "Play Ball!"

Spring is just about here.

No comments: