Monday, January 14, 2008

The Mighty Dolphins

Today is the 35th anniversary of the Miami Dolphins capping off their 17-0 perfect season. Any time a team wins a championship, its a tremendous feat. But a team going undefeated in any sport is special.

In sports, a lot of time it comes down to dumb luck and it's generally even, you make a play, you miss a play. But to have everything go your way, is an incredible thing. Were the 72' Dolphins the best football team ever? Who knows, but they have the resume to stake their claim.

The 2007 Patriots are flirting with destiny. Some are arguing they are the best team ever. All of the bounces have gone their way. Their mistakes have been minimal compared to the other teams'. I still think they will lose either this week against San Diego or in The Super Bowl. I just believe the law of averages will catch up with them.

Until than, It's been an incredible journey. Much like it was in 1972 for the Dolphins.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I agree... though I'm too young to have enjoyed the Dophins' run, I'm definitely impressed by the Patriots this year. They've overcome a lot of tough teams, and you're right, they've had the ball bounce their way on a regular basis. I'm torn in terms of who to root for... the Patriots to win it all so I can say I saw history, or for the Chargers or the NFC Champ (hopefully Green Bay!) take 'em down because the Patriots are so flippin' smug.

Time will tell. Till then, here's rooting for a Super Bowl Eagles team in '08-09!